Making of Champions (MoC) is Nigeria’s leading Sports Media & Management Company whose mission it is to ignite a revival in Athletics in Nigeria, a sport that has brought Nigeria 13 of the 25 Olympic Medals in the nation’s history. MoC has become a beacon of hope in Nigerian Athletics, impacting Track & Field in Nigeria through various projects to realise the vision that Nigeria can be among the Top 3 Nations in Track & Field globally over the next 5 years.
For the past 2 years, Making of Champions has run MoC Track Club in Lagos, Ibadan & Port-Harcourt, with Olympic Medallists Deji Aliu, Glory Alozie & Uchenna Emedolu among our Coaches, training nearly 30 Athletes who hope to represent Nigeria at the 2020 Olympics & beyond, while they go to University or Secondary School in Nigeria. MoC already has several Athletes at Unilag, Uniport, University of Ibadan and other tertiary institutions across Nigeria.
MoC Athletes have won over 10 International Medals for Nigeria, and 25 National Senior, Junior & Youth medals in less than 3 years, with many of them on track (no pun intended) to make the Tokyo Olympics in 2020!
MoC Programme Officer (Nutritionist) Job Description
MoC is seeking a female Programme Officer (PO)/Nutritionist to join our Track Club Management Team in Lagos, to help guide the academic and athletic wellbeing and performance of MoC Athletes in Lagos.
The PO will serve as MoC’s Sports Nutritionist to provide MoC Track Club Athletes with sports nutrition support at home, training and at competitions. The PO will provide nutritional counselling for the MoC Athletes, create customised nutrition plans, conduct body testing, develop menus & arrange for food services, all while collaborating with athletes’ families, Coaches and other MoC Staff.
The PO will also support all aspects of the performance of MoC Athletes, from when they are first recruited to MoC Track Club onwards, including Athletes’ training, supplements, accommodation, feeding, tuition, healthcare & competition travel. They will also support the promotion of MoC Athletes to enable them receive Sponsorships. Building and maintaining relationships with the key stakeholders (sponsors, universities, sports authorities and Athletes’ families) will be critical.
A secondary role for the PO (10–20% of the candidate’s time) – for female candidates only – is to deputise for the Athlete Performance Manager as an adult presence at the female-only “MoC Athletes House”, responsible for the welfare of the Athletes living there and for the maintenance of the House. The role requires that you have a genuine interest in working with young people, be caring, energetic and prepared to give emotional support when needed.
You must be reliable, warm and friendly in disposition, with sufficient sensitivity to show tact and diplomacy. A sense of humour and an even temper dealing with all situations in a co-operative and sensitive manner are also fundamental to carrying out this job effectively. You must be an effective communicator at all levels and a good listener. We’re looking for a highly driven person who is looking to forge an exciting career in Sports Management in Nigeria!
A) Athlete Programme at MoC Lagos Track Club
- Sports Nutrition:
- Provide Nutrition Counselling – counsel MoC Athletes on optimal nutrition goals for their specific training regimen, including requirements for exercise training, recovery from exercise, hydration, travel, competition, weight management
- Create Customized Nutrition Plans – Design personalized meal and snack plans to help MoC Athletes achieve dietary and professional goals, address nutritional challenges such as food allergies, and vitamin or mineral deficiencies, and provide nutritional guidance to help athletes heal from injuries & illness as quickly as possible.
- Body Testing – conduct individual Athlete assessments, e.g. body composition testing, metabolic rate testing, etc, to make informed personalized nutrition advice to athletes
- Food Service and Menu Development – Developing menus and arranging for food services, ensuring the team receives the proper nutrition both while at home, and when travelling for competitions or otherwise.
- Collaborate with athletes’ families, Coaches and other Staff in an effort to keep everyone informed and on the same page.
- Athlete & Team Management:
- Monitor the enrolment of all MoC Athletes at Secondary Schools, Universities or WAEC/JAMB preparatory classes close to their training locations across Nigeria
- Management of Team MoC Athletes at Competitions across Nigeria during the Athletics season (usually March to September each year)
- Planning and preparation of Athlete Budgets for training, supplements, accommodation, feeding, tuition and travel to competitions
- Coordination of Athlete Performance activities (including Healthcare) with the MoC Head Coaches and Performance Management team, including implementation of research & innovation into all aspects of Athlete’s preparation
B) Athlete Welfare at Female Athletes’ House in Lagos
- Deputise for the Athlete Performance Manager (every other weekend and whenever she’s not available or on vacation) on the smooth running of the House: supervision of domestic service staff, general tidiness of the House, procurement of daily & maintenance needs of House, preparation/coordination of light meals
- Monitor the nutritional intake (food and supplements) of the girls’ at the Athletes’ House
- Oversee the medical care of the girls at the Athletes’ House as needed
- Oversee the safety and security of the girls in and outside the House
- Supervise hygiene practices and cleanliness (including appearance) of the girls, and ensure they wear the appropriate training kits and clothes for any functions
- Maintain a supportive presence in the House at all times while inculcating good manners and courtesy in the girls
- Pastoral duty – the daily routine of waking the girls for prayers in the mornings
- Supervision of compliance with after-school activities (assignments, training, etc), closely monitor their academic progress and ensure they follow any other necessary routines as appropriate
- Meet with MoC Coaches & Manager in-charge of the Athlete’s House regularly to discuss the welfare of the girls, including any disciplinary measures that may be necessary
- Bachelor’s Degree in Nutrition/Dietetics
- At least 3 years work experience, with at least 1-2 years experience in a managerial role (Experience working in sports/talent management, with demonstrated skills in managing high achieving people beneficial)
- A flair, passion and interest in Sports Management, clearly demonstrated through hobbies, club memberships and other extra-curricular activities at university, at work or outside of work
- Experience with Microsoft Office including Word, Excel & PowerPoint
- Exceptional communication abilities – excellent oral, written, and interpersonal skills
- Financial management capabilities and strong planning, organizational and time management skills
- Ability to multitask and focus on a variety of projects while working closely with teams of MoC staff and athletes throughout the country
- Should be familiar with Athletics or have a keen interest in Athletics (deep knowledge of Nigerian and World Athletics are advantages)
Compensation & Other Benefits:
- Full time salary negotiable (based on experience)
- Free Accommodation and Meals while at MoC Athletes’ House in Lagos
- When necessary, all expenses paid trips to National Competitions annually where MoC Athletes will be competing. E.g.,
- AFN Golden League and other AFN-organised events
- National Senior Trials/Championships
- National Junior (U20) & Youth (U18) Championships
- National Sports Festival
- National Youth Games
- National University Games
- National & State Secondary School Championships
Application & Deadline
- Send your CV and Cover Letter to [email protected], with ‘MoC Programme Officer (Nutritionist)’ as the email subject! The application deadline is Sunday 27th January 2019
- Interviews will take place in the last week of January or first week of February 2019