MoC is seeking a Digital Media & Communications Manager to lead MoC’s Media Team comprising Sportswriters, Videographers, Photographers and Graphics Designers, thereby helping to transform MoC into Nigeria’s leading Sports Digital Media company. This will entail the cataloguing and optimisation of MoC’s existing and future sports content for maximum brand impact as well as for the development of multiple streams of content monetisation.
The Digital Media & Comms Manager will develop & execute MoC’s global content strategy across 3 key areas: (1) Multimedia production across MoC’s Talent Search & Elite Athletics Competitions, (2) Branding & PR support of MoC-trained and/or managed Athletes, through local & global multimedia content, and (3) MoC’s coverage of international events such as Olympics, World Champs, Commonwealth Games, African Champs & African Games:
- MoC Competitions: Manage Multimedia Coverage of all MoC Competitions to establish a nationwide audience for MoC’s talent search competitions for Secondary School Athletes, and a global audience for MoC’s existing Elite Athlete Competitions such as MoC Grand Prix & MoC Relays, as part of an annual ‘African Athletics League’ for the continent’s best Athletes. Develop each MoC event as innovative Digital product with full professional video production, live coverage & commentary, photography, online streaming & social media. Explore multiple monetisation sources online (e.g. YouTube, Facebook, TikTok) & offline (Corporate Sponsors) while also developing partnerships with nationwide & global TV, Radio, Print & Online Media.
- MoC Athlete Branding & PR: Develop exciting viral video, photo and written content for each MoC-trained or managed Athlete, to support in the management of each of their brands. This will involve overseeing creative decisions & multimedia strategy for each Athletes, writing and directing Athlete videos to be edited by the MoC Videography Team, and developing an in-depth knowledge of MoC’s existing content while recognizing future content opportunities. Oversee the implementation of publicity strategies for all MoC Athletes and Programmes and manage communications to support pipeline of MoC’s existing & prospective Athlete sponsors.
- MoC International Media: Coordinate MoC’s live on-location coverage of international and domestic Athletics Events, to create high impact viral video, photo & social media content for multiple monetisation sources online (e.g. YouTube, Facebook, TikTok) & offline (e.g. sale of photos to agencies and securing Corporate Media Sponsors). Ensure that MoC Media is represented at all International Athletics Events for Team Nigeria, including but not limited to Olympic Games, World Champs, Commonwealth Games, African Champs & African Games. Explore opportunities to create and monetise content from other global events in other sports.
Given MoC’s strong reputation worldwide as a leading brand for Nigerian Athletes and for African Athletics Media & Competitions, the MoC Digital Media & Comms Manager role is a great opportunity for a leader who is passionate about sports, media and events to take responsibility for the growth of MoC Media and the repositioning of MoC as a Digital Media company across all its Competitions, Athlete initiatives and global sport media coverage.
The role requires a pro-active, energetic candidate with prior experience in Multimedia Production, Content Optimisation & Social Media Management – prior experience and/or interest in sports media & marketing is also beneficial. It’s an opportunity to play a pivotal role in Nigeria’s current Athletics resurgence in the run up to the Paris 2024 Olympics, maintain MoC’s position as Africa’s leading Athletics Media platform, and extend this to other sports!
Click on the following link to download the full MoC Digital Media & Communications Manager Job Description, for a breakdown of the Job Responsibilities, as well as the Requirements which are as follows:
- A Bachelor or Master’s Degree in any discipline (Degrees in Communication, Marketing, Journalism, Public Relations or related field would be beneficial but not required)
- Minimum of 3-5 years work experience, preferably in Digital Media, Marketing and/or Communications, with at least 2-3 years of in-depth knowledge and understanding of Social Media platforms and how each can be deployed for maximum impact in different scenarios
- Specific experience with video production (writing and directing) as well as experience in managing content creation,development & publishing, building online communities and monetising online traffic would be highly beneficial
- General work experience in sports, media or entertainment industries and/or a demonstrated passion or interest in Sports Media would be advantageous
- Prior Experience and/or interest in Athletics (Track & Field) beneficial but not required
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office, especially Word, Excel & PowerPoint
- Exceptional communication abilities – excellent oral, written, and interpersonal skills – and strong salesmanship,energy, and drive
- Demonstrated high-level interpersonal and cross-cultural skills, including the ability to build collaborative relationships internally and externally with sensitivity to cultural, ethnic, social, and political issues
- Strong visioning, strategic planning, implementation ability and effective under pressure (good time management skills), results oriented and proactive with ability to multi-task
Application & Deadline
Send your CV & Cover Letter to [email protected], with ‘MoC Digital Media & Communications Manager” as the email subject! The application deadline is Monday 1st August 2022. Only candidates to be invited to interview would be contacted, with 2-3 rounds of interviews to be scheduled on a rolling basis in July/August 2022
About Making of Champions (MoC)
Making of Champions (MoC) is Nigeria’s leading Sports Media & Management Company, founded in 2013, whose mission is to ignite a revival in Athletics in Nigeria, a sport that has brought Nigeria 14 of the 27 Olympic Medals in the nation’s history. MoC has become a beacon of hope in Nigerian Athletics, impacting Track & Field in Nigeria through various projects to realise the vision that Nigeria can be among the Top 3 Nations in Track & Field globally over the next decade, including the Paris 2024 and LA 2028 Olympic Games. MoC’s activities are divided into 2 broad areas – Athlete & Competition Management, with both areas supported by MoC Media creating local and global Athletics content:
Since MoC Track Club launched in 2016, MoC Athletes have won over 60 National & International Medals under the tutelage of Olympic Medallist Deji Aliu (4x100m Bronze Medallist at Athens 2004) who is MoC’s Head Coach, and with the support of other renowned Coaches such as Glory Alozie (100m Hurdles Silver Medallist at Sydney 2000). MoC combines Athletics training with education – many MoC Athletes are currently enrolled in or have attended Unilag, Uniport, UI and other tertiary institutions across Nigeria, while several others have been awarded full US Collegiate Scholarships. MoC holds annual Trials nationwide to recruit the most promising teenage Athletes across Nigeria into its residential programme in Lagos, to complete Secondary School or University under MoC’s Student-Athlete Scholarship programme supported by several Corporate Sponsors.
MoC has run some of the largest Athletics Competitions in Nigeria and Africa since 2015, including the Top Sprinter talent search Reality TV show that year, which held ‘auditions’ in 4 cities across Nigeria and was hailed by BBC Sportshour as the “X-Factor for Sprinters”. The inaugural MoC Grand Prix was launched in 2018 and by 2021 the 3rd edition has grown to become Nigeria’s largest annual Athletics event aside the National Trials, and the third largest in Africa, with Athletes from Nigeria and Kenya qualifying for the Tokyo Olympics. MoC hosted 2 more Competitions in Africa’s Top 10 in 2021 (MoC Invitational & MoC Relays) with Athletes from ~10 African countries in total competing, and the MoC Relays also making history by qualifying Nigeria’s Mixed 4x400m Relay team for the event’s first ever appearance at the Olympic Games in an African Record in the event!
Making of Champions is also creating great media opportunities with global impact, with tens of millions of website & video views, receiving widespread global viewership & National recognition from covering various international competitions. Since 2013, MoC Media has helped to promote the sport of Athletics in Nigeria – thanks to the photos, videos & stories produced by MoC Media over the years, Nigerians all over the world have been able to follow Team Nigeria’s news at several Olympic & Paralympic Games, World Championships, Commonwealth Games & many other international events. MoC Media has been accredited at over 10 major competitions globally since 2014, while the launch of MoC’s live coverage of domestic events with commentary has demonstrated the unique potential for events in Nigeria to capture an audience of millions of online viewers across Africa and globally!