Making of Champions (MoC) is Nigeria’s leading Sports Media & Management Company whose mission it is to ignite a revival in Athletics in Nigeria, a sport that has brought Nigeria 13 of the 25 Olympic Medals in the nation’s history. MoC has become a beacon of hope in Nigerian Athletics, impacting Track & Field in Nigeria through various projects to realise the vision that Nigeria can be among the Top 3 Nations in Track & Field globally over the next 5 years.
For the past 2 years, Making of Champions has run MoC Track Club in Lagos & Port-Harcourt, with Olympic Medallists Deji Aliu, Glory Alozie & Uchenna Emedolu as our Head Coaches, training nearly 30 Athletes who hope to represent Nigeria at the 2020 Olympics & beyond, while they go to University or Secondary School in Nigeria. MoC already has several Athletes at Unilag, Uniport, University of Ibadan and other tertiary institutions across Nigeria.
MoC Athletes have won 6 International Medals for Nigeria, and 19 National Senior, Junior & Youth medals in less than 3 years, with many of them on track (no pun intended) to make the Tokyo Olympics in 2020!
Athlete Performance Manager at MoC
MoC is looking to add a male Athlete Performance Manager (APM) to our Track Club Management Team in Lagos, to help us guide and monitor the academic and athletic wellbeing and performance of MoC Athletes in Lagos.
This particular APM role is specifically for men only, as a key function of this role is to be an adult presence at the male-only “MoC Athlete’s House”, who will be responsible for the welfare of the Athletes living there and for the maintenance of the House. The role requires that you have a genuine interest in working with young people, be caring, energetic and prepared to give emotional support when needed.
We’re looking for a highly driven person who is looking to forge an exciting career in Sports Management in Nigeria!
APM Job Description
Athlete Performance at MoC Lagos Track Club
- Monitor the enrolment and progress of all MoC Athletes at Secondary Schools, Universities or WAEC/JAMB preparatory classes close to their training locations
- Management of Team MoC Athletes at Competitions across Nigeria during the Athletics season (usually March to September each year)
- Planning and preparation of Athlete Budgets for training, supplements, accommodation, feeding, tuition and travel to competitions
- Coordination of Athlete Performance activities (including Healthcare) with the MoC Head Coaches and Performance Management teams, including implementation of research & innovation into all aspects of Athlete’s preparation
- Stakeholder Management – frequent communication with Parents and former Coaches of MoC Athletes, with Academic Staff at their Schools & Universities, as well as with officials of the Athletics Federation of Nigeria (AFN) as necessary, on any matters relating to MoC Athletes
Athlete Welfare at Male Athletes’ House in Lagos
- Handle the smooth running of the House: supervision of domestic services staff, general tidiness of the House, procurement of daily and maintenance needs of House, preparation/coordination of light meals
- Monitor the nutritional intake (food and supplements) of the boys’ at the Athletes’ House
- Oversee the medical care of the boys at the Athletes’ House as needed
- Oversee the safety and security of the boys in and outside the House
- Supervise hygiene practices and cleanliness (including appearance) of the boys, and ensure they wear the appropriate training kits and clothes for any functions
- Maintain a supportive presence in the House at all times while inculcating good manners and courtesy in the boys
- Pastoral duty – the daily routine of waking the boys for prayers in the mornings
- Supervision of compliance with after-school activities (assignments, training, etc), closely monitor their academic progress and ensure they follow any other necessary routines as appropriate
- Meet with Head Coach and Programme Management Team regularly (weekly) to discuss the welfare of the boys, including any disciplinary measures that may be necessary
- At least 5 years work experience, with at least 1-2 years experience in a managerial role (Experience working in sports/talent management, with demonstrated skills in managing high achieving people advantageous)
- A flair, passion and interest in Sports Management, clearly demonstrated through hobbies, club memberships and other extra-curricular activities at university, at work or outside of work
- Bachelor’s Degree in any field, though a Sports Management or Sports or Health-related degree would be an advantage
- Experience with Microsoft Office including Word, Excel & PowerPoint
- Exceptional communication abilities – excellent oral, written, and interpersonal skills
- Financial management capabilities and strong planning, organizational and time management skills
- Ability to multitask and focus on a variety of projects while working closely with teams of MoC staff and athletes throughout the country
- Must be thoroughly familiar with Athletics and business management or at the very least have a keen interest in Athletics (deep knowledge of Nigerian and World Athletics are advantages)
Compensation & Other Benefits:
- Full time salary negotiable (based on experience)
- Free Accommodation and Meals at MoC Athletes’ House in Lagos
- All expenses paid trips to National Competitions annually where MoC Athletes will be competing. E.g.,
- AFN Golden League and other AFN-organised events
- National Senior Trials/Championships
- National Junior (U20) & Youth (U18) Championships
- National Sports Festival
- National Youth Games
- National University Games
- National & State Secondary School Championships
Application & Deadline
- Send your CV and Cover Letter to [email protected], with ‘MoC Athlete Performance Manager’ as the email subject! The application deadline is Sunday 18th November 2018
- Interviews will take place before end of November 2018