SPORTS DATA ANALYST – JOB DESCRIPTION
Making of Champions (MoC) is seeking a Sports Data Analyst to manage and analyze athlete and team registration and results data (including performance points and rankings) at MoC’s various Athletics Competitions in 2023/24 leading up to the Paris 2024 Olympics, with the first series of events set to launch in September.
The MoC Sport Data Analyst will work with a dynamic competition management team comprising Meet Managers, Sportswriters, Graphics and Web Designers, to create and publish athlete and team results, ranking tables and other analysis to enhance global fan viewership and engagement.
They will play a supporting role in sustaining and extending MoC’s current positioning as convener of some the largest and most impactful Competitions across Nigeria and Africa for both elite and aspiring Track & Field Athletes, which in the last decade have included the MoC Grand Prix, MoC Relays, MoC Athletics Trials, as well as Top Sprinter Reality Show & Championships.
MoC is seeking a dynamic and meticulous Data Analyst experienced in Microsoft Excel and other data analysis tools and interested in contributing to MoC’s growing legacy in Sport media and reporting! The role will be in Lagos, Nigeria, with frequent travel for competitions nationwide possible OR remote from anywhere globally. It will be for an initial 4 months with possibility of extension throughout 2024.
- Collect Athlete/Team registration and results data from MoC and other competitions, exporting from/importing to various types of data collection, analysis and display software, and ensuring accuracy of data by verifying, filtering and cleaning data to identify errors.
- Analysis and manipulation of Athlete and Team results data to create various performance rankings and records to be published during and/or after MoC and other competitions.
- Build a database of Athlete and Team registration and results data from MoC Competitions to be maintained annually and displayed in various forms on MoC’s website and social media; Create interactive online dashboards which fans can engage with to conduct their own analysis.
- Analyze and interpret global Athletics data, statistics and records, to provide context and generate meaningful and timely insights from athlete performance data at MoC Competitions.
- Identify, analyze and interprete trends in large data sets and work collaboratively with MoC Sports Media & Management teams on all tasks and decision making related to data analysis and display, while training and guiding both teams on basic data analytics.
- A Bachelor or Master’s Degree in any discipline (particularly any demonstrating experience in advanced data analytics, e.g. Mathematics, Statistics, Computer Science, Engineering, etc).
- Minimum 2 years’ experience in data analysis and modelling, database querying, presentation and building analytics reports.
- Advanced Microsoft Excel skills required; Experience with data reporting and visualization tools (e.g. Power BI) and database management tools (e.g. SQL server) advantageous but not required.
- Strong analytical skills with the ability to collect, clean, organize, and analyze large amounts of data with attention to detail and accuracy.
- Experience working in sports media and/or data analytics, and/or a demonstrated passion or interest in Sports Event Management beneficial but not required.
- Prior Experience and interest in Athletics (Track & Field) would be highly advantageous.
- Working knowledge of other Microsoft Office tools (e.g. Word, PowerPoint, Access).
- Ability to work effectively under time pressure, proactive with ability to generate ideas to boost data analysis and reporting; can pragmatically multi-task, troubleshoot and solve problems.
Application & Deadline
Send your CV and supporting Cover Letter to [email protected] with ‘MoC Sports Data Analyst’ as the email subject! The application deadline is Wednesday 16th August 2023. Only candidates to be invited to interview will be contacted, with the assessment process commencing immediately and concluding by Friday 1st September 2023!
About Making of Champions (MoC)
Making of Champions (MoC) is Nigeria’s leading Sports Media & Management Company, founded in 2013, whose mission is to ignite a revival in Athletics in Nigeria, a sport that has brought Nigeria 14 of the 27 Olympic Medals in the nation’s history. MoC has become a beacon of hope in Nigerian Athletics, impacting Track & Field in Nigeria through various projects to realise the vision that Nigeria can be among the Top 3 Nations in Track & Field globally over the next decade, including the Paris 2024 and LA 2028 Olympic Games. MoC’s activities are divided into 3 broad areas–Athlete & Competition Management & MoC Media:
Since MoC Track Club launched in 2016, MoC Athletes have won over 70 National & International Medals under the tutelage of Olympic Medallist Deji Aliu (4x100m Bronze Medallist at Athens 2004) who is MoC’s Head Coach, and with the support of other renowned Coaches such as Glory Alozie (100m Hurdles Silver Medallist at Sydney 2000). MoC combines Athletics training with education – many MoC Athletes are currently enrolled in or have attended Unilag, Uniport, UI and other tertiary institutions across Nigeria, while several others have been awarded full US Collegiate Scholarships. MoC holds annual Trials nationwide to recruit the most promising teenage Athletes across Nigeria into its residential programme in Lagos, to complete Secondary School or University under MoC’s Student-Athlete Scholarship programme supported by several Corporate Sponsors.
MoC has run some of the largest Athletics Competitions in Nigeria and Africa since 2015, including the Top Sprinter talent search Reality TV show that year, which held ‘auditions’ in 4 cities across Nigeria and was hailed by BBC Sportshour as the “X-Factor for Sprinters”. The inaugural MoC Grand Prix was launched in 2018 and by 2021 the 3rd edition has grown to become Nigeria’s largest annual Athletics event aside the National Trials, and the third largest in Africa, with Athletes from Nigeria and Kenya qualifying for the Tokyo Olympics. MoC hosted 2 more Competitions in Africa’s Top 10 in 2021 (MoC Invitational & MoC Relays) with Athletes from ~10 African countries in total competing, and the MoC Relays also making history by qualifying Nigeria’s Mixed 4x400m Relay team for the event’s first ever appearance at the Olympic Games in an African Record in the event!
Making of Champions is also creating great media opportunities with global impact, with tens of millions of website & video views, receiving widespread global viewership & National recognition from covering various international competitions. Since 2013, MoC Media has helped to promote the sport of Athletics in Nigeria – thanks to the photos, videos & stories produced by MoC Media over the years, Nigerians all over the world have been able to follow Team Nigeria’s news at several Olympic & Paralympic Games, World Championships, Commonwealth Games & many other international events. MoC Media has been accredited at over 10 major competitions globally since 2014, while the launch of MoC’s live coverage of domestic events with commentary has demonstrated the unique potential for Competitions in Nigeria to capture an audience of millions of online viewers across Africa and globally.