Making of Champions is seeking a Country Manager to lead Making of Champions’ activities in Nigeria – this will include (1) overseeing the growth of MoC’s existing myriad of Talent Search (School Athletics) and Elite Athletics Competitions, (2) expanding the scope of MoC’s Elite Athlete Management activities in Athletics (Track & Field) and other sports, and (3) guiding the establishment of MoC Foundation to continue MoC’s nation-building Athlete training, development and education activities:
- Competition Management: Sustain and extend MoC Competitions’ current positioning as the largest, most impactful Athletics events nationwide (for School Athletics) and continent-wide (for Elite Athletics), and to establish their long-term legacy by annually achieving financial sustainability through fundraising from Corporate Sponsors. This includes developing MoC’s existing Elite Athlete Competitions – MoC Grand Prix, MoC Relays, etc into an annual ‘African Athletics League’ for the continent’s best Athletes
- Elite Athlete Management: Extend MoC’s management of Elite Athletes globally, building on MoC’s previous Athlete Management activities on the annual athletics circuit across Europe and Africa, and for Olympic Athletes at Rio 2016 and Tokyo 2020, as well as entering new areas such as supporting Nigerian and other African Athletes on the US Collegiate circuit now permitted to explore the management and marketing of their name, image, and likeness (NIL) rights. Expand MoC’s Athlete management across all Sports
- MoC Foundation: Establish MoC Foundation’s presence in Nigeria, continuing MoC’s Youth Athlete Development as MoC Athletics Academy, with initiatives such as Athletics Trials, Residential Track Club, Student-Athlete Scholarship and the After School Athletics Programme (ASAP), to enable MoC’s continued nationwide impact in athlete recruitment and training. Manage MoC Media’s sports writing, photography & videography activities to maintain position as Africa’s leading Athletics Media platform and extend to other sports
Given MoC’s strong reputation worldwide as a leading brand for Nigerian Athletes and for African Athletics Media and Competitions, the MoC Country Manager role is a great opportunity for a leader who is passionate about sports, media and events to take responsibility for the growth of MoC’s Competition and Elite Athlete Management arms, as well as establish the MoC Foundation to continue MoC’s Athlete Development work nationwide.
The role requires a pro-active, energetic candidate with prior experience fundraising in Nigeria for Corporate Sponsorships and/or experience in sports and/or event management. It’s an opportunity to play a pivotal role in the current Athletics resurgence across Nigeria in the run up to the Paris 2024 Olympics and beyond! Click on the following link to download the full MoC Country Manager Job Description, for a breakdown of the Job Responsibilities, as well as the Requirements which are as follows:
- A Bachelor or Master’s Degree in any discipline
- Minimum of 5-7 years works experience, including at least 2-3 years leading teams in a commercial or client-facing environment (particularly in sponsorship fundraising)
- Experience working in sports, media or entertainment industries and/or a demonstrated passion or interest in Sports Event Management would be highly advantageous
- Experience in international development roles or prior experience in leading or running non-profit organisations in Nigeria would also be beneficial
- Prior Experience and interest in Athletics (Track & Field) beneficial but not required
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office, especially Word, Excel & PowerPoint
- Exceptional communication abilities – excellent oral, written, and interpersonal skills – and strong salesmanship, energy, and drive
- Proven track record of strong management and leadership skills in such areas as: fostering teamwork, developing, and motivating others, managing change, conflict resolution, initiative, and flexibility
- Demonstrated high-level interpersonal and cross-cultural skills, including the ability to build collaborative relationships internally and externally with sensitivity to cultural, ethnic, social, and political issues; Coalition building capabilities, external networking, and experience in developing strategic partnerships
- Ability to pragmatically solve problems, plan a course of action using analytical, conceptual, strategic, and forward-thinking abilities to achieve an effective resolution.
- Strong visioning, strategic planning, implementation ability and effective under pressure (good time management skills), results oriented and proactive with ability to multi-task
Application & Deadline
Interested candidates should email their CV and Cover Letter to with ‘MoC Country Manager’ as the subject to [email protected]! The application deadline is Monday 1st August 2022. Only candidates to be invited to interview would be contacted, with 2-3 rounds of interviews to be scheduled on a rolling basis in July/August 2022
About Making of Champions (MoC)
Making of Champions (MoC) is Nigeria’s leading Sports Media & Management Company focused on Athletics, founded in 2013, whose mission is to ignite a revival in Athletics in Nigeria, a sport that has brought Nigeria 14 of the 27 Olympic Medals in the nation’s history. MoC has become a beacon of hope in Nigerian Athletics, impacting Track & Field in Nigeria through various projects to realise the vision that Nigeria can be among the Top 3 Nations in Track & Field globally over the next decade, including the Paris 2024 and LA 2028 Olympic Games. MoC’s activities are divided into 2 broad areas – Athlete & Competition Management:
Since MoC Track Club launched in 2016, MoC Athletes have won over 60 National & International Medals under the tutelage of Olympic Medallist Deji Aliu (4x100m Bronze medallist at Athens 2004) who is MoC’s Head Coach, and with the support of other renowned Coaches such as Glory Alozie (100m Hurdles Silver medallist at Sydney 2000). MoC combines Athletics training with education – many MoC Athletes are currently enrolled in or have attended Unilag, Uniport, UI and other tertiary institutions across Nigeria, while several others have been awarded full US Collegiate Scholarships. MoC holds annual Trials nationwide to recruit the most promising teenage Athletes across Nigeria into its residential programme in Lagos, to complete Secondary School or University under MoC’s Student-Athlete Scholarship programme supported by several Corporate Sponsors.
MoC has run some of the largest Athletics Competitions in Nigeria and Africa since 2015, including the Top Sprinter talent search Reality TV show that year, which held ‘auditions’ in 4 cities across Nigeria and was hailed by BBC Sportshour as the “X-Factor for Sprinters”. The inaugural MoC Grand Prix was launched in 2018 and by 2021 the 3rd edition has grown to become Nigeria’s largest annual Athletics event aside the National Trials, and the third largest in Africa, with Athletes from Nigeria and Kenya qualifying for the Tokyo Olympics. MoC hosted 2 more Competitions in Africa’s Top 10 in 2021 (MoC Invitational & MoC Relays) with Athletes from ~10 African countries in total competing, and the MoC Relays also making history by qualifying Nigeria’s Mixed 4x400m Relay team for the event’s first ever appearance at the Olympic Games in an African Record in the event!