Team Lead, Data Analytics Job Description
Making of Champions (MoC) is seeking a Team Lead, Data Analytics to lead and coordinate the activities of the Data team in analyzing athlete and team registration and results data (including performance points and rankings) at MoC’s various Athletics Competitions in 2023/24 leading up to the Paris 2024 Olympics, with the first series of events set to launch in September.
The MoC Data Analytics Team Lead will work with a dynamic competition management team comprising Meet Managers, Sportswriters, Graphics and Web Designers, to create and publish athlete and team results, ranking tables and other analysis to enhance global fan viewership and engagement.
They will play a supporting role in sustaining and extending MoC’s current positioning as convener of some the largest and most impactful Competitions across Nigeria and Africa for both elite and aspiring Track & Field Athletes, which in the last decade have included the MoC Grand Prix, MoC Relays, MoC Athletics Trials, as well as Top Sprinter Reality Show & Championships.
- Manage the Collection of Athlete/Team registration and results data from MoC and other competitions, exporting from/importing to various types of data collection, analysis and display software, and ensuring accuracy of data by verifying, filtering and cleaning data to identify errors.
- Support management in decision making by generating actionable insights from various business, athletes and competitions data.
- Supervise the analysis and manipulation of Athlete and Team results data to create various performance rankings and records to be published during and/or after MoC and other competitions.
- Build a database of Athlete and Team registration and results data from MoC Competitions to be maintained annually and displayed in various forms on MoC’s website and social media; Create interactive online dashboards which fans can engage with to conduct their own analysis.
- Analyze and interpret global Athletics data, statistics and records, to provide context and generate meaningful and timely insights from athlete performance data at MoC Competitions.
- Manage the identification, analysis and interpretation of trends in large data sets and work collaboratively with MoC Sports Media & Management teams on all tasks and decision making related to data analysis and display.
- Provide training, guidance and mentorship to members of the data team and other relevant teams.
- A Bachelor or Master’s Degree in any discipline (particularly any demonstrating experience in advanced data analytics, e.g. Mathematics, Statistics, Computer Science, Engineering, etc).
- Minimum 5-7 years’ experience in data analysis and modelling, database querying, presentation and building analytics reports, with at least 2 years in a leadership role.
- Advanced Microsoft Excel skills required; Experience with data reporting and visualization tools (e.g. Power BI) and database management tools (e.g. SQL server) advantageous but not required.
- Strong analytical skills with the ability to collect, clean, organize, and analyze large amounts of data with attention to detail and accuracy.
- Experience working in sports media and/or data analytics, and/or a demonstrated passion or interest in Sports Event Management beneficial but not required.
- Prior Experience and interest in Athletics (Track & Field) would be highly advantageous.
- Working knowledge of other Microsoft Office tools (e.g. Word, PowerPoint, Access).
- Ability to work effectively under time pressure, proactive with ability to generate ideas to boost data analysis and reporting; can pragmatically multi-task, troubleshoot and solve problems.
Application & Deadline
Send your CV and supporting Cover Letter to [email protected] with ‘MoC Sports Data Analyst’ as the email subject! The application deadline is Monday, 28th August, 2023. Only candidates to be invited to interview will be contacted.